Google Chrome is currently the most used Internet browser program, thus many malware and adware authors are targeting it to be able to spread computer threats. Attacks can be in a form of simple adware like pop-up ads, toolbars, hijacking, and redirects. It could also be as dangerous as malware and Trojan executions that can lead to a more disastrous effect affecting not only the computer but also user’s sensitive data and credentials.
Although there are many effective tools that can remove adware and malware from Google Chrome, being cautious while surfing online is still the first line of defense against growing number of threats. If in case your copy of Google Chrome is under malware attack, you may execute this removal guide to clean and remove the threat.
Step 1 : Use Software Removal Tool
This is an official Chrome application which was made to get rid of malicious program causing the browser to display pop-up ads, toolbars, hijacker, and many more adware activities.
Download Software Removal Tool – Official Google Chrome application.
1. Click on the link above to start downloading Software Removal Tool.
2. Under Terms of Service, please click on the Accept and Download button.
3. Save the file on your preferred location.
4. Once the download completes, double-click the file software_removal_tool.exe to run the program.
5. Software Removal Tool will scan Google Chrome for presence of malicious programs and instantly removes them.
6. Next, Software Removal Tool will open Google Chrome and prompts you to reset browser settings. We highly recommend restoring previous configuration. Please click on Reset button.
Step 2 : Download and Scan the Computer with AdwCleaner
Download AdwCleaner – Finds and removes adware and malware components.
1. Download Adware Cleaner by clicking on the provided link above.
2. Save the file on your preferred location or Desktop.
4. Once the download completes, double-click the downloaded file to run the program. If AdwCleaner prompts for Terms and Conditions, you need to click on I Accept/I Agree to be able to use the program.
5. On the main graphical user interface, please click on Scan to start looking for malicious items on your PC as well as Internet browsers.
6. When done scanning, click the Clean button to start removing identified threats.
Step 3 : Additional steps to remove adware and malware from Google Chrome
Download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware – Scans and removes malicious files and registry entries.
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware from the link specified above.
2. Install the program with the default configuration. Please do not change any settings during Malwarebytes Anti-malware installation process.
3. The process should include database update. If not, please manually update Malwarebytes Anti-malware from the console itself.
4. Run a full scan of Malwarebytes Anti-malware. This may take a while.
5. When done scanning the computer, remove all identified threats to ensure that adware and malware are eliminated from the system.
6. Please reboot the computer when prompted.