|Sub-type:||Potentially Unwanted Program|
|Reported:||February 1, 2015|
|Updated:||February 1, 2015|
Block-n-Surf is an adware or also called potentially unwanted program (PUP). It gets installed as browser toolbar or extension to Internet browsers and most of the time will try to inject advertisements on the context of the browser. Most people think that Block-n-Surf ads are part of the web site they visited so they click on it more often. Without their knowledge, ads by Block-n-Surf may be malicious and can point the browser to suspicious web pages.
Authors behind Block-n-Surf designed the program as profit generating browser extension or add-on. It will display pop-up ads, banner ads, and browser redirect modules. Yontoo, the company behind Block-n-Surf claims that they have to maximize advertising revenue in order to make this tool free to use.
About Block-n-Surf (from block-n-surf.com)
“Block-n-Surf Protection Is Currently Available for Large Daily Users to Stay in Control of Their Privacy As They Browse the Web.”
In normal situation, Block-n-Surf is installed on the computer through another program or adware. It gets bundled to programs that are part of pay-per-install scheme. In most cases, users are not aware of Block-n-Surf installation due to lack of information provided by the main program they prefer to download and install. This adware is installed by default as a part of standard setup.
To this date, security experts dubbed Block-n-Surf as one kind of malware. It is integrated into the browser similar to viruses. In addition, it ads several function to the system without asking for user’s permission. Block-n-Surf forces the installation of Windows Service, registry, and executable files.
Without the ability to prove itself as worthy program, Block-n-Surf gains poor standing. Most computer users who came into contact with it perform immediate removal from their PC.
How to remove Block-n-Surf?
Before we start with Block-n-Surf removal process, we advise that you PRINT these steps as some tools may require you to restart the computer later.
Complete the procedures as stated on this page to effectively remove Block-n-Surf from the computer. Download and scan the system with provided virus scanners and tools. These programs are provided free yet very efficient in getting rid of malware.
1st Step : Uninstall Block-n-Surf from Windows
This procedure is optional only if you haven't successfully get rid of Block-n-Surf even though you have followed the procedures above. You may also execute this method first, and then carry on with the 1st Step.
For Windows 10 Users
1. Open or Click Start Menu.
2. Choose the Settings menu to display all contents.
3. Select and click on System.
4. Under System menu, please click on Apps and features.
5. It will display all installed programs on your computer.
6. Select Block-n-Surf from the list.
7. Lastly, click on Uninstall button, and then confirm your action when prompted.
For Windows 8 Users
1. Click on Start button located on bottom left corner of your screen.
2. Choose Control Panel from the menu.
3. Once inside Control Panel window, click on Uninstall a Program.
4. Select Block-n-Surf from the list and click Uninstall button.
For Windows 7 Users
1. Click on Start menu, then Control Panel.
2. Once inside Control Panel window, click on Uninstall a Program.
3. Look for Block-n-Surf from the list of programs and click Uninstall button on top.
For Windows XP Users
1. Click on Start menu, then Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
3. In the 'Currently Installed Programs' window, select Block-n-Surf and then click Change/Remove.
Note: When Block-n-Surf is not visible on the list of programs, we suspect that it is utilizing a unique title to conceal its presence. In this case, arrange the list of installed programs in chronological order showing the latest ones on top. If you find the most recent installed software suspicious, simply Uninstall it.
2nd Step : Scan the Computer with JRT
1. You need to download Junkware Removal Tool from this link. [Download Now]
2. Closing any opened program is advised before running the tool. Cease operation of browsers that are infected with Block-n-Surf.
3. Run Junkware Removal Tool. It needs to check and download necessary update that is essential in removing Block-n-Surf.
4. Next, the tool will make a backup copy of Windows registry and other significant files.
5. Then, Junkware Removal Tool will start checking your computer for presence of malicious items. The program will automatically deletes all threats identified from the system. Please refer to the log file.
3rd Step : Double-Check with Bitdefender Adware Removal Tool
1. Follow the link to download the tool from Bitdefender. [Download Now]
2. When your download has completed, double-click on the file BDPUARLauncher to initialize the tool.
3. Bitdefender Adware Removal Tool will begin to scan the computer and look for Block-n-Surf items. The software may also find other threats from the computer.
4. Once scanning has finished, threats and Block-n-Surf files will be listed. Then, Bitdefender Adware Removal Tool will give you an option to select what items you want to remove. We imply that you remove all known threats, not only from Block-n-Surf adware.
5. Mark all identified threats on the list and then click on the Remove button.
4th Step : More Scanners to Help you Remove Block-n-Surf
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware [Click Here] - Scans and removes Block-n-Surf files and registry entries.
AdwCleaner [Click Here] - Eliminate remaining junkware.
Norton Power Eraser [Click Here] - Advance cleaner for Block-n-Surf relevant threats.
5th Step : Reset the Configuration of your Internet Browsers
If ever Block-n-Surf was able to infect your internet browser application and running above procedures are not beneficial, please follow these steps. Resetting your browser to default settings will clear any changes made by potentially unwanted program.
Delete Block-n-Surf from Google Chrome
1. Select Settings from Google Chrome menu.
2. Click on Show advance settings to expand the current window.
3. Click on "Reset browser settings" button.
4. You need to click on Reset button to confirm the removal of Block-n-Surf entries.
For a much detailed guide in resetting Chrome, kindly visit this link.
Remove Block-n-Surf from Internet Explorer
1. Select Tools from Internet Explorer menu.
2. Choose Interent Options from the list.
3. Select Advanced tab from the opened window.
4. Click on Reset button to get rid of Block-n-Surf and other adware.
5. Once done, click Close and then OK to apply the changes.
You can click here for a more comprehensive steps in resetting Internet Explorer.
Uninstall Block-n-Surf from Mozilla Firefox
1. Choose Help from Mozilla Firefox menu.
2. Click Troubleshooting Information from the list.
3. Click on Reset Firefox button under "Reset Firefox to its default state" area.
4. Confirm the action and click Finish to finally remove Block-n-Surf items.
Complete guide to reset Firefox settings is also available on this site.
Remove Block-n-Surf from Microsoft Edge
1. Download Microsoft Edge Reset tool from this page.
2. Install the tool on the computer with default settings.
3. Leave "Launch Reset Edge Button" with mark at the final stage of the process. This will automatically run the tool when done with install process.
4. To start restoring Edge to previous clean state, click on Reset Edge Browser button.
5. Please restart the browser when done.