|Reported:||November 21, 2016|
|Updated:||November 21, 2016|
Search.webshields.org is a home page hijacker and redirect that is connected to adware. It was designed to occupy your default search engine and new tab as well. Presence of this adware is very evident with Search.webshields.org search bar assigned to your browser’s home page. In some instances, home page remains as it is, but when you start to search the web, browser is redirected to Search.webshields.org search result.
Behavior of Search.webshields.org when running on the computer is minimal. In fact, only affected browser will uncover the infection. Nonetheless, it is still safer to be online without the presence of this adware.
Freeware are accountable for the deployment of Search.webshields.org browser hijacker. These are widespread programs masquerading as software patch, free games, download tools, and many more. Bundling is the right term to describe how a bunch of adware is packed into one file. In other words, downloading and installing freeware similarly giving Search.webshields.org an access to your computer.
Most experts in computer security do not consider Search.webshields.org as a virus. Instead, it was position to be in potentially unwanted program (PUP) group. It does not have a mechanism in which it spreads and infects other files. Search.webshields.org is limited only to affix itself on the browser. Another focus of this adware is to serve advertisements and be moneymaking software.
Once running on the computer, home page is assigned to use Search.webshields.org as default search bar. Search engine is also dominated by this adware. The difference between legitimate search engine and Search.webshields.org is very obvious. Unwanted search produces search results that are polluted with referral links. This is part of their advertising scheme. It forces users to visit website of its clients, an equivalent of referral traffic.
Search.webshields.org works with hundreds of nameless companies aiming to promote their products using unwanted browser redirection. This involuntary visit to unknown sites can lead to malware and virus infection. So be alert and stay away from links that came from Search.webshields.org search.
Search.webshields.org web site is currently listed as partially dangerous under Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page. Visiting this site may harm your computer. Thus, we highly encourage to stay away from Search.webshields.org.
How to Remove Search.webshields.org?
To effectively remove potentially unwanted program like Search.webshields.org from your computer, you need to execute the procedures as presented. Take note that it is important to scan the system fully with suggested anti-virus, anti-malware, and security software. Computer security tools we provided on this site are completely free to use.
Before we start with Search.webshields.org removal process, we advise that you PRINT these steps as some tools may require you to restart the computer later.
1st Step : Uninstall Search.webshields.org
Most adware are installed the same way common programs are setup on Windows system. If Search.webshields.org entry is present on Add/Remove programs of Windows, uninstalling the program is very much advised.
For Windows 10 Users
1. Open or Click Start Menu.
2. Choose the Settings menu to display all contents.
3. Select and click on System.
4. Under System menu, please click on Apps and features.
5. It will display all installed programs on your computer.
6. Select Search.webshields.org from the list.
7. Lastly, click on Uninstall button, and then confirm your action when prompted.
For Windows 8 Users
1. Click on Start button located on bottom left corner of your screen.
2. Choose Control Panel from the menu.
3. Once inside Control Panel window, click on Uninstall a Program.
4. Select Search.webshields.org from the list and click Uninstall button.
For Windows 7 Users
1. Click on Start menu, then Control Panel.
2. Once inside Control Panel window, click on Uninstall a Program.
3. Look for Search.webshields.org from the list of programs and click Uninstall button on top.
For Windows XP Users
1. Click on Start menu, then Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
3. In the 'Currently Installed Programs' window, select Search.webshields.org and then click Change/Remove.
Note: There are times that adware may be using unknown name to conceal its existence, thus you may not be able to see Search.webshields.org on the list of installed programs. In this case, please arrange the list chronologically showing the most recent installed software on top. If it looks suspicious and unfamiliar to you, better remove it.
2nd Step : Scan and Remove Search.webshields.org with JRT
1. Download Junkware Removal Tool and save it on your hard drive. [Download Now]
2. Double-click on JRT.EXE to run the tool.
3. It may take a minute for Junkware Removal Tool to check and download necessary updates, please be patient. Next, the tool will backup Windows registry for just in case anything bad happened.
4. Junkware Removal Tool will scan the system including Start-up, Processes, Services, Files, Folders, and Registry. It automatically deletes items related to Search.webshields.org, and any other malicious files.
3rd Step : Use Bitdefender Adware Removal Tool
1. Download and install Bitdefender Adware Removal Tool. [Download Now]
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file BDPUARLauncher to run the program.
3. Let Bitdefender Adware Removal Tool scans the computer and find Search.webshields.org files. This tool will also scans for other malicious items from your PC.
4. Once finished scanning the computer, Search.webshields.org files are displayed along with other adware. It will be presented in a list in which you have an option to select what you want to remove. We suggest removing all identified threats and not only from those of Search.webshields.org adware.
5. Simply mark the file and click on Remove button.
4th Step : Double-Check for Presence of Search.webshields.org with Online Virus Scanner
1. Click on the link above to browse Online Virus Scanner from ESET web site. [Scan Now]
2. You must 'Agree' to the Terms and Conditions in order to use this tool and help get rid of Search.webshields.org.
3. If this is the first time you are running ESET Online Virus Scanner, it may take a while to download signature database. Please complete the download to effectively scan and remove Search.webshields.org and other harmful objects from your PC.
5th Step : Clean The PC With These Additional Scanners
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware [Click Here] - Scans and removes Search.webshields.org files and registry entries.
AdwCleaner [Click Here] - Eliminate remaining junkware.
Norton Power Eraser [Click Here] - Advance cleaner for Search.webshields.org relevant threats.
6th Step : Reset and Delete Search.webshields.org from Internet Browsers
1. Select Settings from Google Chrome menu.
2. Click on Show advance settings to expand the current window.
3. Click on "Reset browser settings" button.
4. You need to click on Reset button to confirm the removal of Search.webshields.org entries.
For a much complete guide to reset Google Chrome settings, please visit this page.
1. Select Tools from Internet Explorer menu.
2. Choose Interent Options from the list.
3. Select Advanced tab from the opened window.
4. Click on Reset button to get rid of Search.webshields.org and other adware.
5. Once done, click Close and then OK to apply the changes.
See full instructions to reset the configuration of Internet Explorer.
1. Choose Help from Mozilla Firefox menu.
2. Click Troubleshooting Information from the list.
3. Click on Reset Firefox button under "Reset Firefox to its default state" area.
4. Confirm the action and click Finish to finally remove Search.webshields.org items.
For a detailed guide to reset Firefox settings, please click this link.